Wednesday, 28 October 2009

Spritzing

Is it cool to drink white wine spritzers?

I was out for dinner with the handsome hubbie last weekend and noted the restaurant had a "Berry Spritzer" on the menu - a combination of white wine, lemonade and chambord. Not being a wine drinker, I thought this seemed like a good alternative and opted to try this berry infused concoction.

I was shocked. I don't have the pallete for wine at all. I could probably stretch to half a glass of red at the odd black tie event but that's my limit. Champagne is a definite no no. But have I now discovered a way to join the vino collapso crew? It was like the vineyards had opened and welcomed me into their sour topnotes bosom! This drink was fantastic. It had a hint of wine about it, with a pleasurable fizz and all those gorgeous berry smells and favours oozing through. Topped off with mint it was refreshing and lovely.

But, wait. Aren't white wine spritzers the poison of middle-aged women of the 80's? Isn't it something that should only be ordered in dark musty pubs by "glamorous" Brenda with her Southernly cleavage and leather pencil skirt?

Please, someone enlighten me. Can I order this drink in the bars and clubs of London without being looked at like a weirdo or should I only reserve it for restaurants where they still serve Babycham?

Ladies, I await your guidance...

1 comment:

  1. White wine spritzers are very trendy and mean that you can drink wine in a "watered down" sense - less alcohol consumption (tick), more fruity flavour (tick) and looks fancy (tick). If you ask me, it's never been out of fashion (although I tend to adopt the full alcoholed wine because I like it).

    ReplyDelete

Followers